- 225g/8oz onions, chopped
- 900g/2lb apples, cored and chopped
- 110g/4oz sultanas, raisins or chopped dates
- 15g/½oz ground coriander
- 15g/½oz paprika
- 15g/½oz mixed spice
- 15g/½oz salt
- 340g/12oz granulated sugar
- 425ml/¾ pints malt vinegar
- Put all the ingredients into a preserving pan. Slowly bring to the boil until the sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer for 1½-2 hours, stirring from time to time to stop the chutney sticking to the pan.
- When it is very thick and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid, the chutney is ready.
- Turn into sterilised jars, seal and cool.
- Store in a cool, dark cupboard for two to three months before eating.